Don’t Let Your Beach Cruiser Get Stolen
If you are proud owner of a beach cruiser, you will of course want to take precautions to prevent your bike from being stolen. While no method will deter all thieves, you can greatly reduce the probability of theft by following these tips:
1) Always lock up your bike. Some bike owners assume that if they will be away be away from their beach cruisers for only a few minutes, there is no need to lock up their bikes. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most beach cruisers are stolen quite easily while unlocked, so always make sure your beach cruiser is secured before you walk away.
2) Make it easy to recover your bike if it is stolen. Have it engraved with your name and keep your bike serial number, sales receipt and a photograph of your beach cruiser in a safe place. Some municipalities allow you to register your beach cruiser bike with the police so that if it is stolen it can be quickly returned to you. Check with your local police authority to see if you can register your beach cruiser in this.
3) Buy the right tools to protect your beach cruiser. A hardened – but not 100% hardened – steel chain or cable that is at least 7/16 inch thick and a padlock of the same size are best for protecting your beach cruiser. Choose a padlock with at least a 7/16 inch hardened alloy steel shackle and a double-locking feature. A ‘U’ shaped lock made specifically designed for bicycles is best. Look for the best-quality steel you can afford. The better your protection system, the harder your beach cruiser will be for thieves to steal, and this can encourage them to move to an easier target.
4) Try to park in lower-risk areas. If you find that one area tends to see a lot of bicycle thefts, avoid parking your beach cruiser there. Try parking in lower-risk areas to avoid theft. As an added bonus, lower-risk areas are often inside, which will protect your beach cruiser bicycle from rust, as well.
5) Personalize your beach cruiser. Beach cruisers are great because you can customize them with custom decals, your name, baskets, and other accessories. This can make your bike less of a target since it can easily be recognized as yours. Also, a thief may be less likely to try to grab a beach cruiser bike clearly identified with your name.